Panic under load

Adriaan de Groot adridg at cs.kun.nl
Tue Nov 18 12:30:30 PST 2003

This is

FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #1: Sun Nov 16 17:03:56 GMT 2003
    root at beans.ebn.kun.nl:/usr/obj/mnt/sys/CURRENT/src/sys/BEANS

and it was built from -CURRENT source cvsupped on sunday (before the SMP
stuff from Peter was added). THe machine had been up for about 10
minutes. I was just doing the following:

1) cd /home ; tar cf - . | tar xvf - -C /home-local
2) cd /usr/local/tmp/kdemultimedia ; gmake -j6

Now /home is NFS mounted, /home-local is local disk, /usr/local is on the
same local dist, and the sources for kdemultimedia are NFS mounted (from
a different server) as well. On the whole, a fair amount of disk and
network activity (although the network is only 100Mbit).

Resultant panic (slightly abridged):

kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled
fva = 0x175
 ft = supervisor read, page not present
 ip = 0x8:0xffffffff803648cd
 sp = 0x10:0xffffffffa213fb80
 fp = 0x10:0xffffffff8074a760
 cs = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
    = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
 pe = resume, IOPL=0
 cp = 24 (irq10: skc0, atapci*)

Now, one isolated incident isn't very useful. What can/should I do if this
kind of problem persists? (Yeah, read the handbook. I'll get right on it.)

--
pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org>
            If the door is ajar, can we fill it with door-jamb?