Partitions

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Wed Dec 10 20:53:46 PST 2003

Hello,

This isn't really a specifically amd64 question but here goes.

Do I really need a 4gb swap partition/slice?
I have 4gb ram.

I am not really conversant with the FreeBSD way.

I really want to use swap as little as possible.
I hate allocating 4gb when I really hope the swap is used never or
little. But I am naive as to FreeBSDs usage of swap.

I want the best performance settings for my server.

I have the Arima HDAMA board as was stated the sledge.freebsd.org server
is. Does it really have 8gb+ swap space?

This is my current partition structure.

/      256mb
/swap  4gb
/usr   8gb
/home  220gb  (the rest)

the original label suggestion was:

/      256mb
/swap  4gb
/var   256mb
/tmp   256mb
/usr   228gb  (the rest)

Is 8gb enough for /usr for a server?
It will have X and dev tools and server apps.

Wisdom greatly appreciated.

Jimmie Houchin