can't boot 5.1 CD

James Van Artsdalen james-freebsd-amd64 at jrv.org
Wed Dec 10 00:43:56 PST 2003

Has anyone gotten the error

    write failed, filesystem full
    panic: Going nowhere without my init!

trying to boot the 5.1 distribution CD when the kernel tries
to start /etc/init?

The system is a Tyan K8W 2885 with two Opterons and a single 1 GB DDIM
(until I have enough confidence in the hardware to plug in more $$$).
The BIOS is dated 10/2/3.

It does this even with no hard disk in the system.  The CD drive is the
primary device on the ATA cable (the hard disk is/will be on sATA).

One note: I tried to use a HighPoint 1820 sATA controller (PCI-X, 64-bit)
and the BTX loader crashed.

I haven't tried to run on any AMD64 code yet obviously.  I'm assuming
I should get stock 5.1 for a few days first to prove the hardware before
trying to build & run an AMD64 kernel.