AS2100A "unexpected machine check"

Scott salkillen at internode.on.net
Sat Mar 8 16:48:22 UTC 2008

Hi alpha lovers,

Did anyone get the "unexpected machine check" during the CD install/boot
phase bug solved for 6.3-RELEASE on AS2100A's? If so how?

And who (they deserve congratulations!!)?

If I remember correctly I managed to get my AS2100 4/233 going with 4.3 a
couple of years ago, by compiling the kernel and base system on another
machine and building a hard drive to place in the machine but never got it
to run with SMP (had to remove the extra CPU boards and most devices)...

Scott

Nb. Back again after a long absence (playing with OVMS and Tru64 :), I am
just finishing off restoring an AlphaServer 2100A RM 4/275 with 4 CPUs (in a
beautiful beige Digital rack cabinet :), I also found 2 x BA370 28 drive DEC
storage arrays with HSZ70 controllers in blue DEC cabinets that I would like
to add to the system when I can find the cables.

What does one do with antique Alphas? Warms the home/lab of course!
Also had a GS80e but couldn't afford the power bill :(.