future for FBSD on alpha

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 15:36:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 10:20:51AM -0500, Richard J. Valenta wrote:
> I am not familiar with bsdstats at all...

basically if you install port sysutils/bsdstats (just a shell script),
it will send a message from your box monthly to to bsdstats.org
with arch, os version, etc. The idea is to lobby software
producers into supporting their stuff on bsd by showing a large number
of live bsd systems.

My interest is in lobbying fbsd management team not to drop alpha
support by showing a large number of live fbsd alpha systems. At present
the numbers are so low that even RELENG_6 support might stop soon.
If more people participated and a more realistic (read higher) number
of alpha boxes appeared, perhaps we could prolong the life of fbsd on alpha.
However, I agree with Wilko, fbsd on alpha is half dead.

anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht
Room 2.6, Queen's Building