future for FBSD on alpha

Gheorghe Ardelean ardelean at ww.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Aug 1 12:03:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 09:34:25AM -0000, Angus MacGyver wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, August 1, 2008 00:06, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:
> > >
> > > Having us testing will help the port maintainers a lot.
> >

> > Whilst I would support testing - I personally have fairly limited time to
> > build and test now - and quite a lot of sysadmins I know are in the same
> > boat.
> >
> > If there are enough people to do this - then it might just work.
> >
> > The we must do - if this is going to go ahead, - is to make  reasonable
> > decisions about what ports are the "most wanted" - say apache22 and mysql
> > for example - and not "care" about something like "joe" (I just use these
> > as examples - after all one can use a different editor - but a different
> > webserver or DB is another matter)
>
> this sounds like a good idea - a list of most wanted ports.
> However, even 1 or 2 big ports might require lots of dependencies.
> For example I've 229 ports at present, of which only 20 or so
> are top level, like ImageMagick, xpdf, teTeX, some X clients.

I am also planing to upload the ports I have built during my 6.3-Release
testing on my alphas. My plans are to upload to ftp.ro.freebsd.org (the
server I manage) but I do not know in wich directory. Maybe
packages-6.3-release-local or so ?! Wilko would this be ok?

What about smoething similar to this:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/sparc64/Volunteers

Best regards,

Gheorghe Ardelean.