AlphaServer 4100 LCD

Rafael Ruiz gandano at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:37:19 UTC 2007

Hi!

In my humble one opinion, the best free operating system for Alpha platform
is FreeBSD, especially in SMP systems. But FreeBSD development will be
stopped for 7 branch. For this reason, we must to find another operating
system. I have used *BSD, and Linux and each has good and not good things.

I think that Linux is not appropiated for Alpha, but Debian and Gentoo are
very stable distributions with a great numbers of applications ready for
use. I have used Debian in many of my Alpha computers and is the operating
system with less problems to work on Alpha system generic. I have worked
with Debian and Gentoo on AlphaStation 255/300, API UP1100, API CS20, API
UP2000, AlphaServer DS10 and DS10L, 164SX and 164LX.

After FreeBSD, i have used fully NetBSD. I love NetBSD, and I think it is
more faster than Linux, but has some problems in SMP systems, and XFree is
difficult to configure for work without problems. I have used caseydoodley
patches for XFree. I have some problems with CS20 SMP configuration and X on
164SX and 164LX and UP1100.

I have never used OpenBSD. I have readed from home page that OpenBSD/Alpha
was stopped, but now it seems to be ready again. I will have to check it,
but i don´t think it different from NetBSD.

Which is the future for Alpha plattform? Debian says that never will stop
development for Alpha, the port is currently
requalifying<http://wiki.debian.org/alphaEtchReleaseRecertification>for
inclusion.

I think that NetBSD never left alpha port, but it need more developers.

All comment are my personal opinion only.
Thanks to all Alpha free operating systems for his great work. Thanks to
FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD, and Linux ports.

Rafa

2007/7/3, Kevin Ogden <kdogden at gmail.com>:

> Is there any easy way to write anything to the built-in LCD on the
> AlphaServer 4x00?  I was thinking of trying to write a script to display
> uptime/load averages/etc.  Any sysctl variables or anything?
>
> Another question, is there really that much of a lack of interest in
> keeping
> alpha support going?  This box is still a capable server and I really
> don't
> want to run Linux or Tru64 once FreeBSD 6 becomes stale.
>
> --Kevin D. Ogden

There are only 10 types people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't