DS10 6.0 new install hangs mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0a

jonathan michaels jlm at caamora.com.au
Tue Mar 14 22:44:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 03:51:07PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 06:36:22AM -0800, Steve Rikli wrote..
> > On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:38:40AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > > On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 08:03:35PM -0800, Steve Rikli wrote..

> > An 18GB Hitachi passed the probing, but the sysinstall never found
> > the drive to open for partitioning, even though the probing showed
> > it as da0.

both my systems are using 3g4 scsi drives (the 2100a is using a
serverworks raid array of some kind, both have some sort od ide
"primary" drive that serves as teh boot drive with the data going onto
teh raid array for the 2100a and teh alphastation is like that but its
not a raid array, just a big scsi drive (when 3 gb was big) as teh data
storage device.

> Sounds like the drive might have a pre-existing disklabel on it, this
> tends to confuse sysinstall on Alpha.

is this a alpha ds10 issue or are you saying that all alphas (will)
have this kind of a problem ???

just thinking about some boot after install issues i'm now seeing with
freebsd (alpha) v6.0-release on an alphaserver2100A and a dec
alphastation model 255.

while i have not tried to install freebsd on teh 2100a the alphastation
255 bombed out when i went to boot after instalation, both have scsi
cards and drives (both i think are using seagate drives).

some insight would be apreciated, its getting to be a bit frustrating
to get freebsd/netbsd to install properly and run on both these
machines, though dec unix v4.0b seems to not have any problems  ??? i'm
not understaning what is going on and for me teh doc's 'n nanpages are
more confusing than enlightening.

with much thanks and appreciations.

regards

jonathan