AlphaServer 2100 500MP-5

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Tue May 31 10:09:40 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 01:05:49PM -0400, Jason Slagle wrote..

> I have one of these giant rackmount beasts.  I had an earlier 5.x running
> on it, but it won't seem to boot a 5.4 install CD.  It reads it, starts to
> boot (Screen goes black, and for a fleeting moment I see kernel stuff).
> Then I get:

Can you set it to serial console and capture those messages?

Something like

>>> SET CONSOLE SERIAL

and a 9600N81 terminal emulator should do the trick.

> halted CPU 0
> halt code = 7
> machine check while in PAL mode
> PC = 14060
>
> I have no idea how to check the kernel console to see the panic, if it did
> indeed panic, as it has VGA on it.

You might want to go and check the mailing list archives on the AS2100.

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko at FreeBSD.org