Can't label anything from within sysinstall

Ulrich Spoerlein spoerlein at informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu May 19 13:06:00 PDT 2005

Hello folks,

I have access to an Alpha 164SX now and tried to install 5.4 RELEASE
onto it. I hooked up an IDE drive and the install is booted from a SCSI
CDROM hooked up to an Adaptec 2940UW controller.

Everything is coming up fine, however, choosing a standard install
represents me with the disk label editor and there are no disks from
which I can choose.

I did hook up a very old SCSI disk and was presented with a choice
between ad0 and da0, but the label editor was just as empty.

Just like this
                         FreeBSD Disklabel Editor

Part      Mount          Size Newfs   Part      Mount          Size Newfs
----      -----          ---- -----   ----      -----          ---- -----

The following commands are valid here (upper or lower case):
C = Create        D = Delete   M = Mount pt.
N = Newfs Opts    Q = Finish   S = Toggle SoftUpdates   Z = Custom Newfs
T = Toggle Newfs  U = Undo     A = Auto Defaults        R = Delete+Merge

Use F1 or ? to get more help, arrow keys to select.

pressing some buttons then resulted in a signal 11 when I hit 'R'

       qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq Message qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
       A signal 11 was caught - I'm saving what I can and shutting
       down.  If you can reproduce the problem, please turn Debug on
       in the Options menu for the extra information it provides
       in debugging problems like this.
       qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq(100%)qq
                                [  OK  ]

running bsdlabel from the fixit shell worked just as it is supposed to,
but I had to
export EDITOR=/dist/rescue/vi
and the '*' special keyword works perfectly for offset, but not for
size. It will give a partition extends past end of unit error.

However, I can't set any mountpoints and I don't want to install by
hand. So, what's up with sysinstall? Horribly broken?

Ulrich Spörlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44