processor type.

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Sat Jan 15 01:07:23 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:40:53AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 11:45:23PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote..
> > NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=true   # Don't add -march=<cpu> to COPTFLAGS automatically
> >
> > fixes it on RELENG_4
>
> Well, the elapsed wall clock time for a buildworld running an ev5 world
> versus running an ev6 world is only roughly 2 or 3 minutes in favor of a ev6
> world on a elapsed time of roughly 75 minutes. This is on a DS10 600MHz
>
> Not too interesting in my book

I wonder if the build environment was compiled using those flags too or
just the resulting binaries.
One should also consider that compiling binaries with more optimization
usually takes additional cycles too.
I wouldn't have been surprised if the result would have been taken
longer also the binaries were faster.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de