fatal kernel trap

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Tue Apr 5 07:18:34 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 08:30:57AM -0400, Rob Dosogne wrote:
> I have been receiving the same crash & halt code on my 600au with the
> same QLogic SCSI card during installer boot.  I will have to try it in
> a 64-bit PCI slot.  I've been searching for the solution to this
> problem since late last year!
>
> Does anyone know why we are getting a crash from SCSI in 32-bit?  It
> would be interesting to find out.

The driver tries io mode first and the alpha traps because io mode
is not configured over PCI-PCI bridges - moreover many SRM versions
setup io ranges in PCI chips to make drivers beleave in existing io mode
configuration.
A solution to the problem is not that easy - one might think that it is
up to the driver trying mem mode first, but this would break other
platforms - namely many x86 systems have problems with mem mode.
The real solution is to check to complete mapping and then let the
driver fall back to mem mode in a save way.
So far be selective on which cards you run behind PCI bridges.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de