AS1000A with Mylex DAC960 RAID-5 as only disk

randall272-fbsd at yahoo.com randall272-fbsd at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 14:31:47 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have an AS1000A with Mylex DAC960 RAID-5 as the only magnetic disk storage.

I am in the process of installing FreeBSD-5.1-RELEASE on it as 5.3-BETA7 panics
the kernel and there is no opportunity to even get to the boot loader prompt as
the countdown timer goes off in a fraction of a second.

With 5.1 /stand/sysinstall does not list mlxd0 as device to disklable but I was
able to use bsdlable from the Rescue (liveCD #2) CD-ROM and newfs/mount and
cpio the Rescue CD into mlxd0a etc.

Next I have to bsdlable the boot block in (I'm guessing) when the cpio
finishes.

I would like to test and I read phk's E-mail about getting a 5.3-BETA kernel to
boot by removing options so I'll be headed in that direction.

Is anyone else trying this?

Thanks,
Randall Smith