alpha/61940: Can't disklabel new disk from FreeBSD/alpha 5.2-RELEASE sysinstall

Matthew X. Economou xenophon at irtnog.org
Wed Feb 4 07:50:20 PST 2004

The following reply was made to PR alpha/61940; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Matthew X. Economou" <xenophon at irtnog.org>
To: <obrien at FreeBSD.org>, <phk at freebsd.org>
Cc: <freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: RE: alpha/61940: Can't disklabel new disk from FreeBSD/alpha 5.2-RELEASE sysinstall
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:48:43 -0500

 I have more information regarding this problem report.

 I tried installing 5.2-RELEASE on a AlphaServer 2000 5/250 with a Mylex
 DAC960 (KZPSC) RAID-5 array.  The array had been freshly initialized.
 FreeBSD successfully detected the array, but when I tried to label the
 volume, the volume was not even listed on the disk label screen.

 Obviously, the volume was devoid of any previous operating system
 install.  And again, I was able to work around this problem by putting
 the initial label on the volume with FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE.=20

 Is there anything I can do that would help you debug this problem?  Now
 that I have a second machine, I can do whatever testing on it to help
 you discover the cause of this problem.

 Best wishes,
 Matthew

 --=20
 Matthew X. Economou <xenophon at irtnog.org> - Unsafe at any clock speed!
 I'm proud of my Northern Tibetian heritage! (http://www.subgenius.com)
 "The reason that ed is the standard editor is to remind you that
 things could be worse, and once were." -- Tim Lavoie in comp.lang.lisp