alpha/75317: ATA DMA broken on PCalpha

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 22 14:14:03 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 12:03:01AM +0200, Sven Petai wrote..
> On Wednesday 22 December 2004 20:44, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> what I actually meant was that sure enough ALL the SX and LX boxes have
> PYXIS chips but _maybe_ some of the early ones don't have the fix for 8k
> problem, since the fix consists of adding some off-chip logic, it's not
> detectable in the version of Pyxis chip itself.

I am not sure if that is entirely correct.  Having looked at the various
mainboard revisions for Miata in the past along with the engineering errata
I got the impression that at some point there has been a silicon fix (to
the Pyxis itself I mean).  I am not 100% sure about this.

> > so without the warning.  In Miatas using a 32bit slot instead of a 64bit
> > PCI slot avoided the problem.
>
> but that doesn't help you in the case of onboard ata...

True.

> actually it would be nice to know if the early Miatas that are detected as
> having faulty Pyxis, have the same issue when using onboard ata in the
> CURRENT, they certainly should...

There are plenty of Miatas out in the FreeBSD committer community so...

I no longer have any Miatas, I used to have both a MX5 and a GL model.

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko at FreeBSD.org