odd 4.9 scsi problem

M Gollihue mike at sassie.net
Mon Apr 26 04:37:52 PDT 2004

Hello!

I am a newbie on the list, and have only just recently started playing with
Alphas and BSD.

To me, this sounds like it could be a termination problem. Make sure that
you are using the proper terminators ... active terminators with termpower
turned on somewhere. Just a thunk, since your HDD channels seem to work
fine.

Are you sure the firmware on the DAT has not been corrupted? The changing
caps is just a bit too wierd! Could be that it isn't corrupt ... just that
it needs updated to be compatible with the system.

This is reminicient of waaaayyyyy back in the day, the old Macintosh IIfx. I
remember I worked with a few ... the external scsi chain had to have passive
terminators at the beginning or in the middle for it to work right. Putting
them at the end was like running with none (Sometimes having none worked ...
with NO drive terminators turned on!!). Bizarre problems like this popped
up. Of course, with today's active termination stuff like that should be a
thing of the past.

Anyhow, just my two cents.

Michael Gollihue