dhclient unaligned access error

Michael A. Smith msmith at code-fu.com
Thu Sep 11 10:43:14 PDT 2003

I'm running FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE on a DEC Server 3300R. The machine has
been rock solid with FreeBSD for years. It's been cvsupped and rebuilt
within the past two months. Today, I tried to configure a NIC for DHCP
and saw a bunch of unaligned access errors when I rebooted. The machine
came up, but ifconfig showed the NIC as UP with an IP address of 0.0.0.0.

I'm not at the machine right now (and have no Internet access there
until I get DHCP working), so I can't simply cut-and-paste the errors.

I found lots of references to this sort of error while searching online,
but they're all a year or three old -- nothing later than Oct 2002. The
latest message was about this problem being fixed.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas about a solution?

Thanks, all...
--
Michael A. Smith <msmith at code-fu.com>
Programmer at Large