XFree crashes AS 255 running 5.0-RELEASE

Moritz Kiese mbk at eikon.tum.de
Thu Apr 10 06:28:20 PDT 2003

Fred Clift wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Moritz Kiese wrote:
>
> > - what really puzzles me, is that there is _no_ log about this.
>
> You might try and build a debug verision of X (if you are very patient)
> and turn on logging,

Did X-compilation improve? I remember doing this several times with XFree
3.x and it was a mess IMHO... In case XFree builds more or less out of the
box I might give it a shot on the weekend. Any experience on this?

> Oh, and do you have softupdates turned on on the drive that /var is on?
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log mignt not be getting content because it is not yet
> written before the box hangs.

I tried this already --- turning off softupdates improves the situation
somewhat: the log-file gets created but with no content :-(

> Another thing you might do is comment out most of the modules in your
> config file and see if that helps.

My module-section is pretty empty already:

Section "Module"

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

EndSection

> Also, you might try in the 'Device' section for the card putting
>
> Option     "Int10" "False"
>
> which I have to do on my miata with a Millenium II card...

Reboot is now way faster --- it takes something like ten seconds to fall
back to SRM and reboot. Was much longer before ;-)

Anybody having problems with a Millenium II? I might try to get my
hands on one if that's fastest way...

Thanks for your help,
	Moritz.