XFree crashes AS 255 running 5.0-RELEASE

Moritz Kiese mbk at eikon.tum.de
Wed Apr 9 13:36:07 PDT 2003

Hello,

I've got an AlphaStation 255 with 233 MHz. I tried to replace the
original (2 MByte) TGA card with two different VGA cards (Matrox Mystique
and SPEA V7 Mirage (S3 Trio 64 based)). Regardless of the card or the
PCI-slot
- AlphaBIOS boots the VGA card; SRM and FreeBSD console work fine
- xf86cfg will identify the card correctly, then 'boot' the card (e. g. I
see the VGA BIOS screen of the card again), then fall back to SRM and then
reboot the system back to the login screen
- a XF86Config created with xf86config will freeze the machine with a
black screen (no answers to ping from another box)
- what really puzzles me, is that there is _no_ log about this.

The TGA card does run fine but of course in 8-bit mode only...

Any ideas on this? I've been trying to get this working for the last two
days with no result.

Thanks a lot, best regads,
	Moritz.