AS1200

Kevin A. Pieckiel kpieckiel-freebsd-alpha at smartrafficenter.org
Thu Apr 3 11:37:40 PST 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 08:55:10PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 08:17:52AM -0500, Kevin A. Pieckiel wrote:
> > I just acquired an AlphaServer 1200.  This is my first experience with actually
> > operating an alpha aside from having a shell account on one.  When it arrives,
> > it will have NetBSD; I'm considering putting FreeBSD on it.  Should I decide to
> > do so, how can I best help the alpha developers of FreeBSD in regards to testing
> > and bug reporting?  I'm a developer who's intimately familiar with ANSI C, but
> > I've never attempted to become familiar with kernel code.  I'm willing to spend
> > some time on the alpha port since I now own an alpha.  I'm guessing running
> > 5.0-current would be helpful, since there are LOTS of untested architectural
> > changes in the code....
> >
> > Or is this best asked on -hackers?
>
> There are not too many people with AS1200 in the FreeBSD community (it
> seems, when I looked for testers,  see also
> http://www.freebsd.org/~wilko/testhw.html). So as a tester you are more than
> welcome :-P
>
> I suggest to play with 4.8 / stable a bit before going to -current. Until
> you get more familiar with FreeBSD. -current can be a bit of a rocky ride,
> especially on non-x86 architectures.
>
> my ???0.02..

Very well, then.  I'll be glad to take your advice and make sure I'm comfortable
on the Alpha with 4.8.  Thanks for the input.

Kevin

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

---
This message was signed by GnuPG.  E-Mail kpieckiel-pgp at smartrafficenter.org
to receive my public key.  You may also get my key from pgpkeys.mit.edu;
my ID is 0xF1604E92 and will expire on 01 January 2004.