de500 duplex settings in 5.0

Geoff Buckingham geoffb at chuggalug.clues.com
Wed Apr 2 03:47:46 PST 2003

Yesterday I discovered that the de500 in my AS800
has been running at 10baseT/UTP, half duplex since
I installed 5.0.

'ifconfig de0 media X mediaopt Y'

seems to work and ifconfig shows the new setting in
effect, however the switch port is still at 10baseT
and half duplex. Setting the switch port to agree
with the new setting (100baseTX full-duplex) breaks
connectivity. However if the switch is left alone the
link continues to run at 10baseT half duplex, allthough
ifconfig reports 100baseTX full-duplex.

It would seem ifconfig media has no effect on the physical
interface.

I tried replacing the nic with another de500, which had
the same problem. Using a dc card fixed this.

Searching through the mailing list I saw one person with
the same what looked like the same problem, they had also
switched nics to fix the problem.

Is this a known problem? I don't want to raise a PR for
something that is fixed.