OpenAFS on FreeBSD Progress (Works)

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Fri Dec 12 08:07:28 PST 2008

--On fredag, fr 12 dec 2008 17.52.26 +0300 Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru>
wrote:

>> I would also recommend a openafs metaport that combines the client and
>> the server.
>
> What's the purpose of this port? I understand when a big collection
> of ports (like xorg, gnome, etc.) are combined together.

I two ports share the same code base, but install different files, then a
metaport or similar could be clever. See for example
databases/postgresql83-(server|client). The postgresql83-server depends on
the client. The client can installed without the server. Similar to
OpenAFS, hence. Now, they have the same source tarball, so the -client port
just sets a few parameters and then uses the postgresql83-server port as a
master Makefile.

>> Have a look at the mysql-client, mysql-server and mysql
>> ports to see an example of how to do this sort of thing.
>
> I didn't manage to find a metaport for mysql...

Works almost exactly the same as described for postgresql. :-)

Regards,
Palle <girgen at FreeBSD.org>