OpenAFS on FreeBSD Progress (Works)

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Fri Dec 12 08:03:12 PST 2008

Palle Girgensohn <girgen at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> --On fredag, fr 12 dec 2008 17.52.26 +0300 Boris Samorodov
> <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:

>>> I would also recommend a openafs metaport that combines the client and
>>> the server.
>>
>> What's the purpose of this port? I understand when a big collection
>> of ports (like xorg, gnome, etc.) are combined together.
>
> I two ports share the same code base, but install different files,
> then a metaport or similar could be clever.

How? I don't undrestand what for we need a *third* port. I agree and
was going to create two ports: server and client.

> See for example
> databases/postgresql83-(server|client).

There is no third metaport for server and client with combines them. [1]

> The postgresql83-server
> depends on the client. The client can installed without the
> server. Similar to OpenAFS, hence. Now, they have the same source
> tarball, so the -client port just sets a few parameters and then uses
> the postgresql83-server port as a master Makefile.

You have just desribed what I was going to do (actually, has already
done): create an openafs-sever (master) and openafs-client (a
meta-port).

>>> Have a look at the mysql-client, mysql-server and mysql
>>> ports to see an example of how to do this sort of thing.
>>
>> I didn't manage to find a metaport for mysql...
>
> Works almost exactly the same as described for postgresql. :-)

[1] ;-)

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)