OpenAFS on FreeBSD Progress (Works)

Matt Benjamin matt at linuxbox.com
Mon Dec 8 12:54:48 PST 2008

Hi Boris (CC others),

Thanks for your work, in turn!

As you can imagine, since I'm from the OpenAFS side, I have the
following agenda:

1. get official FreeBSD port of openafs server and client
established--it sounds like you're on track to do this (more below)

2. absorb all relevant patches into OpenAFS upstream repo--we have
Tony's 64bit fixes, as you saw, and have built these into what I
submitted to RT for AMD64 target;  thanks for the pointer to the other
two patches, and for putting them into RT already (!);  I'll look at
those shortly

Note that I have submitted additional patches for FreeBSD openafs server
and client that will probably appear in the next stable
release--including masking SIGSYS triggered by ktc_GetToken as used by
vos and other programs, when the lkm is not loaded [ugh], sorry didn't
fix that earlier.

Now, returning to the port topic...

- From what I understand, Alec's port uses Arla as the client, so I think
that port isn't the _client_ port I personally and OpenAFS are trying
for, but presumably they can coexist?  Alec's is ideal for sites wishing
to blend OpenAFS with Arla as the client, &c, and we certainly want to
assist in any way we can with that effort, as well.

I would like to open discussion on how OpenAFS specifically should best
interface with the FreeBSD ports system--and people who would like to
help us keep that port up to date :)

Regards,

Matt

Boris Samorodov wrote:

> I'd like to create two separate ports: openafs-server and
> openafs-client. But I don't know right now how to do it.
>
> Any comments are appreciated.
>

> WBR

- --

Matt Benjamin