FreeBSD has a politics problem

Bryan Drewery bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 5 19:28:09 UTC 2018

On 3/5/2018 11:09 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Bryan Drewery wrote:
>> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 4880 and 3156)
>> --oex5zYNtdOsHH7CGnZTm2mPFhuBKYldVo
>> From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at FreeBSD.org>
>> To: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com>, deb at freebsdfoundation.org
>> Cc: freebsd-advocacy at freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: FreeBSD has a politics problem
>>
>> --YJ0tBWvLQToy5jfzJdV74lsXFyKkOJvV1

>> fully

>>> =20
>>> Hi Deb,
>>> Did the foundation pay for it ?=20
>>
>> The discussion needs to not demonize people or entities involved on
>> either side.
>
> FreeBSD are at liberty to reject a non FreeBSD outsider who wrote this
> especially if they were paid to write it, even more so if the paid
> outsider hopes rules she/he wrote they'd like to see imposed on us.
>

>> It seems to me that it would have been better had this CoC
>> had more outside review and possibly a draft period where the project
>> asked for community feedback.
>
> ** A draft & period for comment should have been mandatory,
> omiting it suggests arrogance or incompetence.
>

>> IMHO it's not too late to go down those
>> paths but we need to take a deep breath and consider that the intentions
>> of the CoC are only good;
>
> Maybe, or not,  See ** above.
>

>> that the project should be more welcoming for
>> everyone.  There's nothing wrong with the Foundation sponsoring a CoC,
>> even if it had flaws.
>
> I think legaly Foundation is not answerable to FreeBSD just to the
> few who founded the foundation.  Nothing wrong with FreeBSD rejecting
> an unwanted gift as incompetent waste of money - if they want.
>

>> It likely would need to help sponsor independent
>> reviews to weed out unneutral language.
>
> Whoever sprung this on FreeBSD community without warning should be admonished.
>
> FreeBSD Foundation could ask for a refund from the incompetent who
> wrote it, & Foundation in turn could refund those such as the person
> who asked "Can I have a refund".

The language and tone you are using only diminishes your voice, and
frankly violates any average or common sense CoC.  This was not done by
1 person or "outsider", it was done by a group of people and signed off
by core@ (as I understand it).  I think mistakes were made but attacking
everyone involved won't achieve any positive results.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery