The word "leaked"

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Mon Mar 5 08:37:35 UTC 2018

On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 11:24:34PM -0500, Andras Farkas wrote:
> What do you have to hide from FreeBSD users?  Why should users trust
> people who hide things from them?

When I posted email to an internal list, I was under the impression
that it would remain confidential.

Someone, I don't know who, has violated that presumption of confidentiality;
that rudeness seems to have been skipped in this meta-discussion.

The way I might say something to someone in a small group of people may
not be the same way I would phrase it if I knew I was talking to the
whole world.  I might feel freer to express doubts and questions without
having every single word I said analyzed for correctness, by N people,
M of whom I don't even know.

If I have to carefully police every single thing I say in every single
venue, so that someone, somewhere, won't raise a stink, I might as well
give up this hobby and just read webcomics.

mcl