CoC does not help in benchmarks

Erich Dollansky freebsd.ed.lists at sumeritec.com
Wed Jul 18 05:14:31 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 11:38:21 -0400
Chad Jacob Milios <freebsd-list at nuos.org> wrote:

> > On Jul 17, 2018, at 5:23 AM, Erich Dollansky
> > <freebsd.ed.lists at sumeritec.com> wrote:
> >
> > you mean, the money spent on the CoC would not helped to develop
> > better code by getting people willing to code for the same amount
> > of money.
>
> Now I see your point. Do we know how much was spent on CoC? I get
> zero hits for /(coc|conduct)/i on all pdfs linked from the body of
> https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/financials/
> <https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/financials/>

only that this number is not published is fishy.

> I thought i recall Deb Goodkin said that means its expenditure was
> “insignificant”. I dont have a citation unfortunately but at some
> point in the last couple years i wanna say i heard numbers around
> $1000 being tossed around but it sounded like conjecture to me at the
> time. Am I anywhere near the mark? Did i miss something more concrete
> coming out?

Some smaller contributors told me to leave and two donors told me that
they will stop donating.

> I still don’t see what’s to get so bent out of shape about. Is it
> that y’all want more transparency, finer granularity, etc? Are coders
> really leaving or effectively going “on strike” over this?

Isn't this the perfect example of how transparency is avoided?

> > I come from a background where we say, stop it before it takes over.
> > What ever bad thing appeared in the past, appeared very smooth, very
> > gentle, just like this CoC.
>
> Ok, i can hear you now. I think you’re saying that just about EVERY
> horrific attrocity of human rights in the history of humankind had at
> one time began with seemingly good intensions and was touted as
> innocent and reasonable. You’re worried our CoC is pointing in the
> direction of hindering innovation by stifling free speech and the
> exchange of ideas. You wonder if a silent majority is simply leaving
> because they recognize this with their gut intuition but are not as
> vocal, opinionated or invested as those spearheading the controversy.
> (?)

The future will tell.

> Am i close? I have hardly taken in very much of this saga. I’ve
> mostly tried to ignore it and not let it distract me from my work or
> my participation in The Project.
>
> May I politely ask your background, out of curiosity? Is it that
> you’re German or Jewish? Would that be a fair question or an
> inappropriate presumption? I think i can also feel a bit of what
> you’re saying now, that i’m not quite sure if i’m running afoul of
> the CoC in asking that question and now my anxiety says i should just
> shut up and leave.

You are right. I have a German passport.

> > The Nineties are over, yes, but is civilisation also over?
>
> I don’t think civilization was ever at risk of ending. Lawd, i hope
> this isn’t the end of civility in the FreeBSD project.

This is why I think that the old CoC was perfect for this cind of
project.

> Maybe I’m being melodramatic but this brings to mind something i read
> once along the lines of: A peace maintained by force or restriction
> cannot be sustained and will eventually explode violently or crumble
> chaotically. Or: Without freedom there can be no liberty. Without
> liberty there can be no justice. Without justice there can be no
> lasting peace.

Yes!

> > Of course, people can work on FreeBSD with the new CoC. But do they
> > have to work?
>
> I’m sorry, i don’t think i caught your meaning here.

It is just as written.

Erich