Will anti-Berkeley boycotts affect BSD Unix?

Alex Libman a at libman.org
Fri Feb 3 20:52:03 UTC 2017

My Fellow BSD Users & Advocates:

In light of the recent violent faculty-supported anti-free-speech riots at UC Berkeley, the archaic namesake of BSD Unix, I would like to once again revisit the question that I've posed in a less serious tone six years ago:

WHAT *SHOULD* THE B IN BSD STAND FOR?

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-advocacy&m=129750891811408&w=2

The history of the BSD Unix ecosystem, stretching from the late 1960s to the present day, involves contributions from many different universities, companies, non-profit organizations, and individuals from all over the world.  Why should just one (particularly controversial and divisive) university get perpetual free advertising for all eternity at the expense of every other individual and institution?

I propose that the name BSD should be thought of as a recursive acronym (like GNU) for "BSD Software Distribution".  The B in BSD could also stand for Beastie, Bell Labs (to which it has a more forthright connection than Linux), etc, etc, etc...

This need not be a formal decision by any BSD variant's foundation, BDFL, etc - just a preference of some members of the BSD community.

Long live the BSD Software Distribution!

Peace out.