FreeBSD ZFS advocacy

Kevin Zheng kevinz5000 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:36:19 UTC 2015

Hi Kat,

I'm glad you (and your enterprise) are looking at FreeBSD!

On 03/30/2015 03:53, k4t at 3msg.es wrote:
> I'm proposing to a medium size enterprise to use a FreeBSD ZFS
> installation on commodity hardware for a NAS/SAN storage
> implementation.
>
> The actual implementation is quite small itself, around 8-12TB
> usable space presented as iSCSI or cifs, for a TV recording system,
> with a second device of similar capacity for a backup.

A good starting point is FreeNAS [1], a storage solution built on
FreeBSD and ZFS. Even if you're not looking at using FreeNAS itself,
there are a lot of testimonials and rationale for using FreeBSD as a
storage system in general. You may also want to look at the FreeBSD
advocacy page [2] if you haven't already.

Best of luck,
Kevin Zheng

[1] http://www.freenas.org/
[2] https://www.freebsd.org/advocacy/