Concerning our new Code of Conduct...

Johannes Jost Meixner johannes at meixner.dk
Thu Jul 16 20:45:32 UTC 2015

On 07/16/2015 23:29, Randi Harper wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 1:45 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no
> <mailto:des at des.no>> wrote:
>
> Johannes Jost Meixner <johannes at meixner.dk
> <mailto:johannes at meixner.dk>> writes:
>> I - as a male - feel not only not tolerated, but also
>> discriminated against,
>
> There are approximately 400 active committers, and not even five
> of those are women.  How the *hell* can you claim to be
> discriminated against when you are part of a 99% majority?
>

> It's all tacky to have this on the mailing list, and it's all part
> of his campaign for what he thinks is going to work, because he
> knows I was asked by core to keep things quiet. He's continuing to
> target and harass women, however, myself included. This will be my
> single post on the matter on this mailing list, because this is not
> the right place to air FreeBSD's dirty laundry, despite him
> repeatedly trying.

(Please see http://imgur.com/a/q8Z1u for reference.)

I am not harassing women. I am actively mentoring THREE female friends
of mine to set up their own businesses here in Eastern Europe.

I have been targeted by you, have been libelled in public, and cannot
afford an attorney to *force* you to stop.

You've cost me, personally, a whooping $2'560 USD *so far*, on one of
my clients' contracts. When are you going to pay me for the damage I
incurred, directly, because of your actions?

You have done enough harm. If you were to just stop, I would walk away
immediately.

Alas, since your being asked by core to "keep quiet", you have
continued to do the very thing I asked you, in public, to stop --

harassing the other side, namely males that think differently than you d
o.

I am not on the GamerGate site, have not been, will not be.

You are framing me as if I were. I don't *care* what stuff is going on
there, and after my interactions with people who *are* on the
GamerGate side,

I find them about as annoying as I found my previous interactions with
you.

> A few days ago, a tweet was brought to the attention of my org. It
> was some MRA/PUA/super racist guy, although I hadn't heard of him
> before that night. He had posted a picture of a black boy child
> getting raped along with a snarky statement. We focus more on dev
> policies and mitigation techniques. This was an extreme case,
> however. We responded, and this person's account was quickly
> suspended, as was one of his friends, who commented "boys will be
> boys". This guy was furious and started directing a stream of
> vitriol at me from his blog, to which Johannes decided to
> contribute because he's made it his mission to seek out abusive
> people and drive them to further harassment. This is who he's
> siding with. This is what he's contributing.

You know, I filed a suspension request with Twitter for your account,
because the amount of harmful things you post (see
http://imgur.com/a/q8Z1u for reference) could clearly be considered as
libel, slander, defamation, and many of the things you accuse this guy
of doing.

That request has been denied by Twitter, because, again, some animals
are more equal than others.

> The "male tears" comment wasn't even in relation to Johannes, but
> instead a reddit thread, which he decided to crop out of the
> images. In this thread, several people from GamerGate and people
> outside the project had started posting about SJWs and bigotry
> before it was eventually moderated by cperciva at . However, he's very
> determined to find fault in anything I say and find a way to direct
> it at himself. He's annoying, and he's been threatening me and
> constantly trying to stir up a mob, with little success.
> Shockingly, my software works at blocking out the mobs. Weird,
> huh?

I do understand that this "male tears" post of yours was not in
relation to myself personally. Do you really think that "collecting
male tears" creates good advocacy for the FreeBSD project, which is -
as DES so kindly stated, 99% male for the time being?

I would love to be in a position to bring in some of the women I have
had the chance to work with, during my 15 months as ports committer.

Alas, I have not been in that position so far. Chances are, I will not
be, mainly due to YOUR very active involvement.

> Maybe if I could spend less time writing software to mitigate
> harassment, I could spend time contributing to FreeBSD again.
> Unfortunately, internet culture is what it is, and it takes time
> to change, one company or open source project at a time. I wish I
> could say that I'm shocked that people would object to a Code of
> Conduct as Johannes did several times - very loudly - but I'm
> really not. People dislike change, especially cultural change that
> challenges their social position. It's understandable. However,
> women make up less than 2% of open source developers. FreeBSD falls
> below the average. If the project wants to change that, the
> environment needs to be made more welcoming to women. Right now,
> it's not, which is made very clear by this mailing list
> discussion.

Maybe if I could spend less time dealing with harassment coming from a
person running an Online Abuse Prevention Initiative, I could continue
making the FreeBSD ports tree a better place; less broken in parts,
with cool gems some female developer friends of mine have been working
on, and cool gems some male developer friends of mine have been
working on.

Alas, you seem to be intent on making the FreeBSD project deny me this
chance.

- -Johannes