Voxer using FreeBSD, BSDNow.tv interview

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon Oct 20 17:36:15 UTC 2014

> Am 20.10.2014 um 10:19 schrieb David Chisnall <theraven at FreeBSD.org>:
>

> I presume that most of the relevant differences are for users / developers and not sysadmins?  It's worth noting that GNU coreutils, tar, bash, and a load of other things are in the ports repository.  I wonder if it's worth having a gnu-userland metaport, perhaps with something like the Solaris approach of sticking them all in a different tree so that you can just add that to the start of your PATH and have all of the GNU tools work by default.

They use chef.
The chef omnibus installer assumes there is a /bin/bash. Even the FreeBSD version of it. Well, it least it did the last time I looked. Maybe this got fixed in the meantime.
Which means that to „bootstrap“ a node, you’ve first got to install pkg on it, install bash, symlink it to /bin/bash and then bootstrap the node.
Which kind of runs against the concept of doing everything via chef.