Leaving the Desktop Market

Jordan Hubbard jkh at mail.turbofuzz.com
Wed Apr 2 12:06:55 UTC 2014

On Apr 1, 2014, at 9:33 PM, Person, Roderick <personrp at UPMC.EDU> wrote:

> Why aren't all the nerds and small businesses out there a market?

Too few of you to justify the capital outlay.  Now, if we were talking about a $1500 watch that was very nerdy and appealed to the inner James Bond in lots of non-nerds, the margins might just justify it.   If Apple hardware is too expensive for you, there is always Windows and a cheap PC clone.  Between those two poles, the entirety of the desktop market is pretty much spoken for.  I get that there are some (mostly on these mailing lists) who don’t want either, but religious / personal preferences to the contrary don’t create markets until there are at least a few million of you.