Leaving the Desktop Market

Randi Harper sektie at freebsdgirl.com
Tue Apr 1 16:10:50 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 12:11 AM, Jordan Hubbard <jkh at mail.turbofuzz.com>wrote:

> There is no such thing as a desktop market for *BSD or Linux.  There never
> has been and there never will be.

Oh, god. I'm going to wake up for this mailing list just to say this:

You know you opened a can of worms with that one. Because all the nerds are
going to step up and say "Well, I run FreeBSD on my desktop! It's totally
viable!"

Dear nerds, get some perspective. You aren't an end user, and you're
masochistic. It's okay, we accept you here. But your individual use case
doesn't indicate a place in the market. Your basement isn't a market. It's
a basement. Your small company isn't a market. It's a small company. Many
companies combined create a market.

Back to sleep.