[FreeBSD-Announce] vBSDcon Registrations Only Open For 30 More Days!

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Mon Sep 23 18:51:34 UTC 2013

All:

It's good to see corporate support of BSD, but at the same time I
have mixed feelings about certain corporations -- Verisign among
them -- hosting BSD-related conferences or becoming involved in the
development of BSD-based operating systems. Why? Because Verisign,
based in Reston, Virginia (the city next door to Vienna, VA, home
of the NSA), has strong ties to this shadowy agency. The NSA, in
turn -- as reported in documents recently leaked by Edward Snowden
-- has a very strong interest in weakening the security of
cryptographic algorithms, cryptographic software, and operating
systems. We may want to look this gift horse very carefully in the
mouth, or at least monitor very closely "contributions" of code
that might introduce backdoors or weaknesses.

--Brett Glass