About FreeBSD.org visitors

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sun Oct 6 04:31:47 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 15:06:55 +1100
Kubilay Kocak <koobs.freebsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/10/2013 1:29 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 12:17:34 +1100
> > Kubilay Kocak <koobs.freebsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Thats a good question Rodrigo and right on point.
> >>
> >> Bounce rates, without also identifying *legitimate* (and/or
> >> desirable) exit points cant alone help us determine if a user has
> >> achieved their objective or not.
> >>
> > I am one of the many 'bounced' users. The front page shows already
> > very often what I want to know. Security notes, the current
> > supported versions and news. Why should I read then things I am not
> > interested in?
>
> You shouldnt, though im intrigued as to who or what gave you the
> impression that you should? :)

the content of the first e-mail in this threat. It gives the impression
that the site is bad because some 50% 'bounce'.

> > But there is something missing. There is no 'entry' point for
> > potential new users.
>
> +1 on this point. Additionally, new users are but one dimension of one
> demographic of a diverse customer base. You want to see understand the
> forest *and* the trees.
>
> >> Among other things, marking actions on pages with GA labels will
> >> differentiate many of these cases from the pathological and begins
> >> to place 'our user goals' *first* as the primary definition of
> >> success.
> >>
> >> You cant manage or improve what you dont measure.
> >
> > I disagree here. A website is not a piece of engineering.
>
> If by engineering you mean not serving a purely technical endeavour, I
> can't agree more.

I consider the front ends always as design and would never allow an
engineer to do one. Let the engineers build the cars but let designers
design them. Would you like to drive a car like the Tin Lizzy?

Erich