Wildebeest Licensing

Frank Mitchell mitchell at wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk
Sat Apr 28 16:45:11 UTC 2012

Hi: Why not write your own Software License? Just avoid anything illegal.

Before composing the Wildebeest Licence I read some legal stuff to ensure it
made sense. Remember, I live in England, where Copyright Law is different, and
licenses formulated for the USA can be silly. Microsoft's Warranty Disclaimers
about Merchantability and Personal Injury are completely invalid here. And
we're covered by European Union law, which doesn't recognise Software Patents
as such.

Originally I was motivated by Joerg Schilling's experience with "cdrecord".
I'm sure the "No Warranty" clause attracts people who don't bother to test
their ideas properly. "Spiegel" is my personal CD Writing project, so I aimed
to keep it simple and ensure it worked properly. I don't want anybody
circulating defective versions of a program which people may use to back up
their data.