why no Oracle on FreeBSD ?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Sep 25 18:46:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 09:15:43PM +0530, Saifi Khan wrote:

> i noticed that there is no Oracle available for FreeBSD
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/index.html

I unfortunately don't have anything to offer as a direct answer to that,
other than perhaps "Oracle's short-sightedness".

I wonder why you ask, though.  Do you plan to use Oracle for some
specific "real world" purpose?  Are you simply trying to learn about
Oracle?  Are you just curious about the lack of Oracle for FreeBSD?

Depending on your reasons for asking, it might be worthwhile to
investigate alternatives.  FTD apparently found Oracle to fall short of
expectations, and EnterpriseDB's variant of PostgreSQL rose to the
challenge:

    http://tinyurl.com/yd9lon5

(I used TinyURL to avoid running afoul of line-wrap, et cetera.)

It might be worth looking into.  It's easy (relative to most DMBS-to-DBMS
migrations) to migrate a database from Oracle to PostgreSQL, too, thanks
to substantial feature parity between the two.

There's a slightly different write-up of the FTD migration on
EnterpriseDB's "success stories" page:

    http://www.enterprisedb.com/learning/success.do