why BSDs got no love

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Dec 23 15:48:56 UTC 2009

Randi Harper wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:
> > Peer Schaefer <peer.schaefer at hamburg.de> wrote:
> >
> >> BTW, the Debian installer consists (a) of a modular, frontend agnostic
> >> backend, and (b) different frontend "plugins", e.g. a curses-frontend or
> >> a X/GTK+-frontend. This is a modular and very elegant approach (but
> >> surely difficult to implement).
> >
> > Perhaps the way to go is a common table of target defaults eg
> >        /usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/install.cfg
> > Which could then be edited by all of
> >        Front end CLI           (*)
> >        Front end curses GUI    (*)
> >                (*)             Maybe these 2 alternatives should be
> >                                the first question the installer asks ?
> >        Front end X11 GUI (for later after main install complete
> >                                - Shudder, Not that I'd use it, but someone
> >                                  would probably want to write one).
> >        vi - for editing, & writing back to new boot media,
> >                to auto install on multiple identical new machines.
>

> I would sooner stab myself in the face.

Not obvious at all which your personal revulsion applies to
	CLI ? ncurses ? install.cfg ?, X11 ?, vi ?

I was trying to think of a unifying structure that would allow for
variant personal preferences, inc. prefs to avoid some interfaces.
(eg personally I've no use for X11 post install, or 'vi install.cfg`
mass production install,  but there's others it would attract).

> > All of 4.11, 7.1 & 8.0 man sysinstall contain:
> >        This product is currently at the end of its life cycle and
> >        will eventually be replaced.
>

> Sure, once someone writes something everyone can agree upon. Until
> then, sorry, you're stuck with sysinstall. :)

Yes, & All will never agree, it's schismatic, sort of thing
attractive to PCBSD DesktopBSD or Yet-Another-BSD forks/front ends,
or about as endless discussion as which brewery brews best beer :-)

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com