BSDstats: May Statistics - 23 998 Hosts Reported In

Murray Stokely murray at stokely.org
Thu Jun 5 23:19:42 UTC 2008

Yea it's probably worth doing, but that would still only reach a small
fraction of the installed instances of FreeBSD, so what will that
number really give you?  The number of people using sysinstall that
choose to participate in this program?  Somewhat interesting I guess,
but that number is very different from the number of computers running
FreeBSD.  Any large installation will image drives or perform their
own custom installation and may very well not want their competitors
to know how many machines they are running.

The bsdstats website does not make this very clear and is I think
misleading and possibly harmful to the effort it is trying to
champion.

           - Murray