Independent security analysis of operating systems/applications

Tim Clewlow tim1timau at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 18:33:39 PDT 2007

--- Doug Poland <wisco.disco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently some friends of mine have started to cite "studies" that
> assert Unix/Linux operating systems are now the most frequently
> attacked platforms.

There are a number of possible reasons for this.

1) the attackers have realised that no-one in their right mind would store
anything valuable on a windope server.

2) the attackers are bored silly with the ease of breaking into microstuffed
servers and are looking for a challenge.

3) the windrunk servers were so severely rooted that their access logs no
longer recorded anything useful and this was considered to mean no break in had
occurred (I believe this is covered in the Microsoft Certification)

Regards, Tim.