[alerts@infosecnews.org: [ISN] Top Ten Reasons Why Ubuntu, Is Best for Enterprise Use]

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:44:51 PST 2007

On November 21, 2007 10:34 am David Naylor wrote:
> I really, really must be missing something.  Could someone please
> explain this to me:

> Why use open source if you do not even compile from source.  All Linux
> distributions (with the exception of Gentoo which was inspired by
> FreeBSD) distributes binary packages for primary consumption.  What is
> the difference between that and using Windows binary programs?  In
> both cases the source code does not take a part...

They also provide source packages where you can see the source code, and
compile your own packages from that source.  The process is different
from using the ports tree, and it isn't advertised as much, but the
option is there and lots of people use it.

--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP      Network Support Technician
School District 73                  (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fjwcash at gmail.com