Fwd: Dell is asking what free OS to preinstall

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 02:45:54 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Warren Myers <volcimaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was under the impression that of the Linuces out there, Slackware was most
> BSD-ish? How is Debian like BSD?

That sounds about right, though I've only used Slackware once, a long
long long time ago. The question asks:

6) Which Linux distribution should Dell prioritize on?
a Commercial: Novell/SuSE Linux Desktop.
b Commercial: Red Hat Enterprise Desktop.
c Community Supported: Fedora.
d Community Supported: OpenSUSE.
e Community Supported: Ubuntu.
f Other.

>From the choices available Ubuntu is the only one developed and
maintained by individuals with no commercial backing. The Ubuntu /
Debian relationship would be equivalent to PC-BSD / FreeBSD. Umm and
last time I checked FreeBSD wasn't a Linux distribution so writing in
FreeBSD for option f is not applicable, you could write-in Slackware
though.