Ukrainian President and KDE2 on FreeBSD

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Sun Dec 30 06:32:28 PST 2007

30.12.07 @ 06:29 Matt Olander wrote:

>> The first part, "Talk to my computer people.", shows a remarkable
>> ammount of restraint. As anyone who has dealt with end users knows,
>> often times, they will attempt many incorrect things, before talking
>> to the "computer people".
>>
>> The second part demonstrates a clear understanding of what its like to
>> attempt to patch, or for that matter, build, or even use KDE. I doubt
>> anyone here would argue that it does not "mess with your head", so
>> clearly, "use other software" is sound advice!
>

> Haha, definitely neat. What I'm curious about is why this would be the
> number one question for him. Does anybody know if the Ukrainian
> government is using KDE/FreeBSD heavily?

Alas, I think, no. This question to Ukraninan president was a result of
flashmob, with ex-USSR sociocultural IT origins in it. Several years ago
in one of russian IRC-nets there were a dialog at a fan channel of Japan
animation:

- Is this channel about Anime?
- Yes.
- How do I patch KDE2 under FreeBSD?

The humor was in that at these old times Anime-fans were almost all
technical geeks and spent their time talking about Unix-like OSes, not
about Anime. With years this quote about Anime and KDE became very popular
(in fact, a mem). So when Presidents of Russia and Kazakhstan organized
their conferences with questions coming via internet-voting, question
about KDE2 won the first place (along with other humorous questions),
though was never answered. Now, the answer at last was given by Ukrainian
President, although not too-technical, so fans made a picture with "right
answer":

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8606/kde2vr1.png

;-)

--