Current Gentoo user

Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos miguel at anjos.strangled.net
Sun Dec 16 11:57:42 PST 2007

> From: Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com>
>
> I just had a search through the FreeBSD ports list and just about
> everything I user is listed there.  gnucash, gimp, firefox, etc.  Does
> that mean they are work perfectly on FreeBSD?
>
> - Grant

Of course... those aren't Linux apps, they work flawlessly on lots of
operating systems (even on Windows!). Add mplayer to that and lots of other
closer-to-the-hardware apps.
Java also works fine and native.
Anything you see on the ports collection will work, generally only
closed-source apps need Linux emulation. Open-source ones run native.
Even lots of closed-source apps run just fine in Linux emulation.
Some vendors even provide FreeBSD-specific software, such as the nvidia
driver for FreeBSD.

Greetings,

Miguel