The sorry state of open source today

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 20 03:11:28 UTC 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:39:16 -0400 (EDT)
Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <beranger5ca at yahoo.ca> wrote:

Hi!

> Really, folks, what makes you so aggressive?!
>
> I was hurt, and disappointed. I was having higher expectations from the
> FreeBSD guys.
>
> http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2858
>
> R-C

I wouldn't take DES' comments to be that aggressive or take
much offense to them.  After reading over some of the emails
and his comments, in most cases it seemed more that he was
pointing out that the Foundation isn't in control of the
FreeBSD Project.  This is true.

There is, of course, a chance I missed a comment that was
offensive.  And if so, I'm sorry that it was missed; however,
you need to understand that you acted like a reporter.  You
placed yourself in a position as a "public figure" and in
a situation where people might disagree with what you had
to say.  Not everyone will like it.  Not everyone will agree
with you.  It's true that the negative attention will of
course be noticed much quicker and easier than the positive -
that's just life.

Furthermore, not to further offend you, I read the name of
your article: "The sorry state of open source today" as more
anti-open source comments from Microsoft drones and was a little
unhappy until DES pointed out what it really was.

Just take the good with the bad and just move on, you should
have expected a mix of positive and negative reactions.

Thanks,

--
Tom Rhodes