BSD folks position on GPL, Novell, IBM, SCO, and MS...

Tim Clewlow tim1timau at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 16:10:27 PST 2006

http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,140,028.PN.&OS=PN/7,140,028&RS=PN/7,140,028

> I provide the link, but I couldn't tell you much about the language of the
> patent itself, except to reiterate whats already been said.  This is a patent
>
> for compiling code to run on different operating systems...  If that really
> is the case, then I don't think that it's just the GCC at risk.
>
> There should be laws about claiming things like this.  There is nothing
> unique
> about it, and most developers kits have something at least too similar for MS
>
> to say, "This is our idea, and we would like to protect it."  If it's unique
> to them, then fine.  But if it's something that has been used by most
> developers out there, it available to the public to use at will, it's methods
>
> are commonly known, then the patent in no way, shape, or form should be
> issued.  In fact, I believe that companies who do this should have to pay
> fines for even attempting it.
>
> Mike

Microsoft appear to be claiming that the idea of using one type of computer to
build an operating system for a different type of computer is their idea.
Unfortunately (for Microsoft) this practice has been known in the "public
domain" for decades. This claim would be laughable if it wasnt serious -
instead it is just pathetic.

Tim.