Mail originating from FreeBSD servers spam-blocked by large organization

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Fri Jan 6 05:15:45 PST 2006

Erich Dollansky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Alan Smithee wrote:
>

>> Naturally, I think this is a rather draconian defense, of limited
>> practical
>

> they should block e-mails written by Outlook clients.
>
>> Does anyone have any advice?  In particular, I would be keen to
>> obtain any
>> statistics or references for organizations that use FreeBSD to host
>> their
>> email servers.
>

> The problem could be linked to Hotmail and Yahoo. Hotmail was FreeBSD
> and Yahoo should still be FreeBSD.
>
> Both are commonly used for spamming.

- there are lots of admins and such there that can act as a reference
for this kind of misinformation about FreeBSD.  Whatever organization
this is (and I presume possibly a .gov), should really re-evaluate their
means of blocking mail, and maybe do a little research first.  If they
are blocking based on the word freebsd then who knows what else they
think is evil.. Yikes.

Eric