Ask for FreeBSD support here! Let's join forces!

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Sun Aug 20 20:46:26 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006, at 16:25:21 -0300, Charles A. Landemaine wrote:
> On 8/20/06, Don Witt <witt at cylogistics.com> wrote:
> > The next release of Adobe flash developer will have a revised
> > license which will include FreeBSD. This was per the product
> > manager.
>
> License is not the most important. What is important for the end user
> is having a native version of his own operating system :)

I read this last month:

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2006/07/api_review.html

The using ALSA for sound in version 9 doesn't sound very good for
getting it to work on FreeBSD even if/when the license allows it. I
don't understand why it's so hard for them to make it compatible with
more OSes. They are in the business of selling software to create
content in their proprietary Flash format, but if that can't be viewed
on every common OS, then I think/know developers will not develop
exclusively in Flash as much. Granted up to date Flash support is
available for Windows and the majority of computer users, but I do know
some developers who want their websites to be viewable for everyone, and
therefore have chosen not to develop in Flash. On the other hand, lots
of big sites use all Flash for their designs (and some 8+ so we can't
view them at all), so maybe the designers who do care about full
compatibility and wouldn't buy their products or develop in Flash don't
matter as much since Adobe already has tons of business and doesn't
have much financial incentive to make it more compatible.

However, Adobe is already doing major work on Flash 9 for Linux, so I
don't understand why at the same time they couldn't put a little effort
into making it compatible with the most operating systems possible so
the most people can view the content created with their tools. If they
want Flash to be a web standard, then they should care about supporting
every common OS...and from reading the blog posts/comments and never
receiving a helpful response from them about it, unfortunately they
don't seem to want to invest the time to do it right from the beginning
of a major rewrite like this.

The petition has increased by over 1,000 signatures since I signed it
which is good. I hope people continue to sign it and contact Adobe
about Flash for FreeBSD. :)

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)

GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc