Flash Player on FreeBSD

Jeff Cross jeff.cross at averageadmins.com
Mon Apr 10 01:26:35 UTC 2006

I have seen a number of e-mails lately about a petition for having a
native Flash Player for the FreeBSD operating system.  I have noticed
that the flashplayer* plugin has been removed from the ports tree and I
understand why.  But, what needs to happen to allow FreeBSD users to use
 the Flash Player plugin?

I just saw where Verizon and Adobe have come to an agreement to allow
Verizon to put the Flash Player on their mobile phones.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/biztech/04/06/adobe.verizon.reut/index.html?section=cnn_tech

Would it be possible to approach Adobe about getting this kind of
agreement for FreeBSD?  I mean, their EULA says the software can't be
used on the Windows XP Media Center operating system (unless I have
misread this, please correct me if I'm wrong). There are a number of
laptops coming out now with the Media Center OS on them.  Don't you
think they run Flash Player on them?

I'm not trying to kick a dead horse here.  Like I said earlier, I know
this has been discussed time and time again.  But, I thoroughly enjoy
using FreeBSD.  I rarely boot in to Windows any more.  As much as I hate
to admit it, it just feels natural to visit a Flash enabled web site and
have it work on FreeBSD.  Even though I don't visit that many (on
purpose anyway), when I do I like to see what I visited the site to see,
even if that happens to be Flash enabled content.

And, I'm sure there is more to this than I realize, but isn't the
flashplayer plugin running on Linux, even in FreeBSD, due to the Linux
Binary Compatibility?  I just thought it was worth a shot! :)

I also blogged about this so if you'd care to comment on my blog, the
URL is:

http://www.averageadmins.com/blog/2006/04/09/flash-fragged-from-freebsd/

I'm sure I'm not as smart as most of you guys, and don't claim to be,
but I am willing to help!

Jeff Cross
www.averageadmins.com