New Logo

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at comcast.net
Tue Nov 1 18:50:53 PST 2005

On Tue 1 Nov 05 15:39, "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub at 401.cx>
wrote:
> stheg olloydson wrote:
> > it was said by stanb:
> >> YUK!!!!!!!!!
> >>
> >> --
> >> U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout
> >> Despite Vietcong Terror
> >> - New York Times 9/3/1967
> >
> > Look on the bright side! Everyone expected this to turn out
> > badly, and they got more than they expected. Way more.
> >
> > shudders,
> >
> > stheg
>
> Speak for yourself!
> I had great expectations, and I'm very pleased to see the result.
> Congratulations to core and the winner of the contest for a job
> well done.
>
> 'Everyone' does not have a problem with FreeBSD trying to make
> progress. I know a lot of people do, but far from everyone.

Progress != a new logo. I am always happy to see FreeBSD make progress.
I have no problem with the idea of a new logo, but my hopes were not
high, given that it became a controversial subject. I wasn't going to
say anything, but honestly, I don't like it that much. It looks a bit
dated for an update, and it doesn't do well in black on white - the
font is too thin (and way too art-deco/euro-like) and doesn't seem to
have much to do with the "head" icon. In fact the head and wording seem
as if they were put together as an afterthought. And what's with the
sateen/silk background? Looks like a velvet painting, which is sorta
groovy in a kitchy way, but I don't think that was the intention.

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, and it looks like some work went
into it, but it's too trendy to be memorable and have staying power,
and it's too far behind-the-curve to be trendy. It looks like it's
trying too hard ... I dunno. Just that I get the feeling it will have
to be updated soon to look "modern" again, and it might be better for
FreeBSD to go with a more "classic" look that can withstand changes in
trends. Some logos never have to be - and never should be - updated
(again, I don't think this is one of them), and that's a better idea
for the long run. Just MHO.

- jt